Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Shaking God's Hand


The topic at my home group Sunday night was based on a reading in this months Grapevinve. The topic was based on 'finding' a power greater than ourselves, one that we could live by.
I listened to a man share about his belief in God, even though he's never 'shaken His hand'.
Suddenly, it occured to me just how far Ive come (came to believe...that concept I once scoffed at) in my belief in a power greater than myself. I call that power God....mostly for ease. Although sometimes I call him Buddy, Friend or even Hey-You.
I thought about my job (I work with persons who have fairly severe dementia, traumatic brain injury and end stage alzhiemers disease)and I thought "I get to shake God's hand every day!"
With every bone in my body, I know I am doing the job I am supposed to be doing. It has become clear to me that God gave me a gift, and that gift was wrapped in wrinkles and drool. Most days I can excel at my job with ease....I even have days that I cant believe I get paid to do what Im doing. (Nonono..not every day. Management drives me nuts, co-workers tick me off and the government red tape/rules/regulations baffle me and anger me)
But most days, when I am able to recognize that I am powerless to change management/co-workers/the government and I simply focus on what is in front of me, I wonder how I got to be so lucky. Who gets to come in to work, step off the elevator to a waiting 90 year old who has her arms outstretched for her morning hug? Who gets to hear they are beautiful and special dozens of times a day? Who gets to finish their shift knowing they made a difference that day?
I get to shake God's hand every day. I get to hug Him and hear Him whisper sweet nothings in my ear.
Mother Theresa said: "We can do no great things. Only small things with great love".
I finally get it.
Show up with gratitude in my heart, take care of all the small things, and sink an incredible amount of love into them.
What a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment