Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Beautiful Mess

I went to my husbands home group on Monday night.
I noticed her sitting there by herself.
At first I was mad....I mean, where are the women of this group??!! Why are they letting this newcomer sit all by herself??!!
Then I figured that maybe the reason I noticed her was because God had a plan.
So I went and introduced myself and asked if I could sit with her.
She just moved here (geographical cure that failed, I suspect) and she has nobody. Nobody but us bunch of drunks (IF we take the time to notice her sitting there ladies!!)
She was too scared to go up and get a chip.....so I led her up after the meeting and placed one in her hand. We agreed to meet again the next day for another AA meeting.
She carried that chip around with her all day.
She is as quiet as a mouse, and she looks scared silly.
I desperately wanted to fill all the dead air with words....something, anything to give her some hope.
I wanted to ask her questions about herself....but I didnt want to pry and make her uncomfortable.
I wanted to share ALL of my experiences, but I didnt want to talk about myself like some ego-maniac.
I settled for patting her arm once in awhile and hugging her afterwards and telling her that it's going to get better.....please keep coming.
We are going to another meeting tonight. I called some of my pajama gals (I'll explain that in another post) and they are going too.....calling in the troops so to speak.
I just phoned her to confirm that I will pick her up.
I asked how she was doing.
"Ummmmmmm....what answer do you want?" she asked me.
I told her I wanted an honest one.
"Im a beautiful mess" she replied.
I loved that answer.
She IS a beautiful mess.
I pray she keeps coming....I pray she allows the miracle of AA to happen in her life.
Because then she will live in her beautiful part....without the mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment