Friday, May 16, 2014

The nose knows what the nose knows.....

I feel as if I have been granted a superpower. I knew my sense of smell would improve; I read about it, people told me about it........but this is almost beyond human. It borders on robotic. I thought maybe everyone had this strong sense of smell and I had just damaged mine with smoking and after less than 3 short months, the fragrance gods had rewarded me. This is not the case. I held a piece of white wonderbread up to my daughters face the other day exclaiming "Do you smell that?? It smells like chemicals!" After batting my arm away, she scowled at me and warned me not to buy "the bird seed bread" again. She wont eat it. She likes white bread and does not think it smells like bleach. (even though I asked her to recall how they made paste in kindergarten........same thing as white wonderbread. :wacko: ) In the beginning, I was enchanted with my new sense of smell. Oh....I still am....I really am. I'm not complaining........ I've just had to learn to tone down the quantity of things I hold up to my face. A month ago I could be found in grocery store isles, screwing the lids off shampoo, fabric softener, and dish washing detergent. I lifted any and all items in the bakery up to my face for a big whiff. I would audibly sigh when there was fresh cinnamon raisin bread to savor with my nose. I spent over an hour hanging out in a bath and body store at the mall. I have become a Scentsy junkie (little scented wax bars that you melt in a warmer to release their smell). All smells seemed new, a fresh and exciting! Like I was smelling things for the first time. The good smells far outnumbered the bad ones........... Lately, Ive noticed how many things smell like chemicals. :huh: I pulled out my favorite body butter the other day. Satsuma has been my favorite Bath and Body Works scent for years! I lathered it on my arms and then wrinkled my nose. Something was wrong. I smelled the familiar satsuma scent, but under that, a strong smell of chemicals. :unsure: I was so sad. I dont think Im ready to part with my favorite scent, but I cant wear something that smells like chemicals either. I moved on to my second favorite......sweetpea. The same. It smells like lovely sweetpea with a strong undertone of chemicals. :( Well, I suppose they would smell like chemicals. They ARE chemicals. (Im going to order some chemical free perfume online, with some of my saved cigarette money) I just wish the chemicals didnt bother my new super nose so much. Hershey's chocolate doesnt smell like chocolate to me. It smells like feet. :huh: I was relieved to find that good quality chocolate still smells delicious. :wub: My parents house smells even more like home. A blend of pinesol, moms cooking, the candy that always sits in the candy dish, and fresh laundry. This is good. My car smells disgusting, like an old dirty ashtray. This is not good. My spice cupboard smells amazing. I love opening that cupboard! This is good. My basement smells damp and creepy. This is not good. My freshly bathed grandson ......oh this is SO good. My grandson with a fully loaded diaper. This is not good. Smells have quickly been sorted into 'good and bad' and Im learning to take in the good (deeply breathe in that fresh cut grass) and avoid the bad (the compost bin) I am learning to show some restraint when lifting things to my face......Im not a fan of the chemical smell and then its ruined for me. I wont eat it or wear it or use it. When standing near a smoker, I am becoming adept at not twisting and contorting my face to send the message that I am either about to have a seizure or I think they smell worse than an outhouse. Its a big responsibility to be in charge of this super power.

No comments:

Post a Comment